Michael A. West, PE, RA, CWI, F.ASCEEmeritus Vice President
Michael A. West received a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Illinois-Urbana in 1971 and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1977. Mr. West is registered in Wisconsin, both as an Architect and as a Professional Engineer, and as a Professional Engineer in Michigan and Ohio.
Mr. West has been employed at CSD Structural Engineers since 1978, was made an Associate in 1981, and a Principal in 1985. During his tenure, he was responsible for both architectural and structural design for numerous projects in the area of industrial, commercial, and institutional buildings. He has also been responsible for the structural design of numerous low and mid-rise buildings. These buildings include office buildings, hotels, warehouses and institutional buildings. Mr. West was appointed Emeritus Vice President in 2016.
Mr. West is the co-author of AISC Design Guide 3 Serviceability Design Considerations for Steel Buildings, and AISC Design Guide 10 Erection Bracing of Low-Rise Structural Steel Frames. Mr. West is also the coauthor of AISC’s Lectures Intelligent Design and Effective Design. He has lectured extensively for AISC, both at NASCC and in AISC Seminars over the last twenty-five years, including presentations of the lectures presenting the both the 2005 and 2010 Specifications and Manuals.
Mr. West is a member of AISC’s Committees on Manuals and Textbooks, and the Code of Standard Practice and AISC’s Specification Technical Committee TC 12 – Quality Control and Assurance. Mr. West is the chairman of AISC’s Certification Standards Committee. Mr. West is a member of ACI’s Committee 117 – Tolerances. Mr. West also chairs the AISC-ACI Task Group on Tolerances for the Construction of Steel and Concrete Structures the AISC-ACI Task Group on Coordination. Additionally, Mr. West is a member of ASCE’s Standards Committee 37 – Design Loads on Structures During Construction.
In 2013, Mr. West received a Lifetime Achievement Award for the American Institute of Steel Construction. Also in 2013, Mr. West was elected to Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers. In 2014, Mr. West received the Civil Government Award from the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Bachelor of Architecture, 1971, University of Illinois – Urbana
- Master of Business Administration, 1977, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Wisconsin – P.E. and Architect
- Award for Excellence, Hunzinger Construction Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 2010, for “Exemplary Dedication to Excellence and Customer Satisfaction, Striving to Exceed Industry Standards Through Continuous Quality Improvement” – Glendale Department of Public Works
- Lifetime Achievement Award, American Institute of Steel Construction, 2013
- Election to Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2013
- Civil Government Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2014
- American Institute of Architects (AIA), Corporate Member (until 2011)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Member
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), Member
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Standards Committee 37 “Design Loads on Structures During Construction”, since 1995.
- American Institute of Steel Construction, Committee on Manuals, since 1996.
- American Institute of Steel Construction, Committee on the Code of Standard Practice, since 1998.
- American Institute of Steel Construction, Specification Technical Committee, TC 12 – Quality Control and Assurance, since 2008.
- American Institute of Steel Construction, Certification Standards Committee, Chairman, since 2011.
- State of Wisconsin, Department, of Commerce, Structural Requirements Specialty Code Council, since 1999
- American Concrete Institute, Committee 117 – Tolerances, since 2006.
- AISC-ACI Task Group on Tolerances for the Construction of Steel and Concrete Structures, Chairman, since 2005.
- AISC-ACI Task Group on Coordination, Chairman, since 2005.
- American Institute of Architects – Wisconsin, Director-at-Large, 2003-2004
Co-author of the following books and design guides:
- Designing with Steel Joists, Joist Girders, Steel Deck, Nucor Corporation
- Serviceability Design Considerations for Low-Rise Buildings, AISC
- Erection Bracing of Low-Rise Structural Steel Buildings, AISC
- “Productivity Changes Using Micro/Mini Computer Systems in Consulting Engineering” with Dr. James M. Fisher published by American Society of Civil Engineers.
- “Serviceability Design Considerations for Low-Rise Buildings” with Dr. James M. Fisher, first and second editions, published by American Institute of Steel Construction, Design Guide 3, 1990 and 2003.
- “Designing with Steel Joists, Joist Girders and Steel Deck”, with Dr. James M. Fisher and Julius P. Van de Pas, first and second editions, published by Vulcraft, a Division of Nucor Corp, 1991 and 2002.
- “Erection Bracing of Structural Steel Frames”, with Dr. James M. Fisher, published by the Structural Stability Research Council, 1993. “Erection Bracing of Low-Rise Structural Steel Buildings” with Dr. James M. Fisher, first and second editions, published by American Institute of Steel Construction, Design Guide 10, 1997 and 2017.
- “Planning Issues for Steel Erection”, with James Minkkinen, Proceedings AISC North American Steel Construction Conference, 2006.
- “Intelligent Design – Low-Rise and Mid-Rise Buildings” with Dr. James M. Fisher, AISC Seminar, 2008.
- “Effective Steel Design – Design of a Low-Rise Office Building”, AISC Seminar, 2010.
- “Connection Design Responsibility”, STRUCTURE magazine, November 2011
- “Reading Hardy Cross”, Proceedings AISC North American Steel Construction Conference, 2013.
- “Specific Instructions to the Contrary”, with Charles J. Carter and David Ratterman, Modern Steel Construction, February 2017
- Additional articles in Modern Steel Construction magazine, American Institute of Steel Construction.
- Presenter at University of Wisconsin Professional Development Courses:
- “Structural Design for Non-Structural Engineers”
- “Structural Design for Technicians”
- “Structural Serviceability – A Design Consideration”
- “Design Loads for Structures”
- “Structural Bracing for Lateral Loads and Stability”
- “Structural Steel Design Workshop”
- Presenter at AISC National Steel Construction Conferences in:
- National Council of Structural Engineers Associations Webinar, “AISC’s Code of Standard Practice for Steel Buildings and Bridges”, 2013.
- Steel Joint Institute Webinar “Steel Joist Floor Systems Best Practices”, 2016
- Trustee, Village of Fox Point, Wisconsin, August 2000 through April 2002.
- Village President, Village of Fox Point, Wisconsin, April 2002 through April 2017.
- Commissioner, Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, August 2008 through April 2017, having served as both Chair and Vice Chair.
- Ex officio and appointed to other Boards and Commissions of the Village of Fox Point during my term of office.